“I belong: I matter; I am accepted.”
-Jackie Marquette, PhD. and author of Independence Bound, a book about finding and establishing independent living for Trent, her son with autism.
Enabling individuals with ASD to recognize and use the “Hidden Rules” for becoming socially accepted and part of a community to create emotional fulfillment while providing a sense of belonging and purpose.
Enabling individuals with ASD, behavioral and developmental disabilities to be able to develop lifelong community relationships is the goal behind BRITE Success LLC’s program, Social Connexions ™. Social acceptance is guided by the hidden rules of how to act appropriately within a social setting. Unfortunately, individuals with ASD are not always equipped with how to understand social cues or how to act within a social environment. To enhance the understanding of the social world around them, individuals with ASD need to be provided with social experiences in order to make social connections within their surrounding communities.
Through developing social, behavioral and working skills, Social Connexions™ clients are taught the tools necessary to socially excel within their surrounding communities. Opportunities are offered for individuals with ASD to learn social skills within a group setting and in turn practice those skills through role playing, video modeling and team work. Through appropriate preparation and instruction, clients are able to utilize their newly learned skills within a true community setting by attending group “outings” with their peers. Social Connexion’s™ philosophy of enabling individuals with ASD to recognize and use the “Hidden Rules” for becoming socially accepted and part of a community to create emotional fulfillment while providing a sense of belonging and purpose remains at the forefront of this program.
BCBA Supervised, Social Connexions™ provides clients of varying age groups a semester long, interactive, group Training Series. Along with these training series, social groups will also attend various field trips within the community and participate in various community activities.
- Clients will be developing skills through the practices of:
- Role Playing,
- Video Modeling,
- Community Practice,
- Social Stories,
- Social Communication and Dialogue
- Each Training Series will focus on a Social or Community Readiness Theme such as:
- Creating and maintaining friendships and relationships
- Volunteering and Service Learning
- Restaurant Etiquette
- Disability Awareness
- Personal Hygiene
- Independent Living Skills
- Computer Safety and Social Networking
- Social Stories
- Role Playing
- Community Practice
- Social Communication and Dialogue
Social Connexions™ offers social groups according to age with each group focusing on a different area of social skills reflective of their social development needs.
- Early Connexions- Ages Pre-K through Kindergarten
- Meets twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:30pm.
- School Connexions- Elementary
- Meets once a week on Mondays from 3:30-5:30 pm
- Transition Connexions- Middle School, Junior High, High School
- This social skills group focuses on social skills within a group setting tackling social issues such as money management, eating out at a restaurant, going to sporting events, making friends and personal hygiene, street survival/socially acceptable behavior within a group setting of peers.
- Meets 4 times a month on Monday and Friday evenings from 5:30-7pm
- Community Partnerships- Post Secondary through adulthood
- This social group focuses on Transitioning into the community
through volunteer service and opportunities to learn skills for potential job
placement while fostering independent working skills.
Get involved - Social Connexions Registration Form